Subscribe Us

Ads Here

Thursday, January 25, 2024

What Senators GM Staios said about Chychrun, trade deadline, coaching search

Ottawa Senators president and general manager Steve Staios held his mid-season media availability on Thursday morning where he addressed several topics related to his club as it navigates what has been a disappointing campaign so far.

Here is what Staios said about the upcoming trade deadline, his search for a new coach and some other topics.

Jacques Martin and Daniel Alfredsson

The Senators named Martin interim head coach on Dec. 18, replacing D.J. Smith. Alfredsson joined him on the bench as an assistant.

“(The head coach search) is in process. I think we’ve kind of put names together that might fit. I think the off-season is going to be a great opportunity for us to take a look at that.

“I’m extremely encouraged with the work Jacques and Alfie (Daniel Alfredsson) and Jack (Capuano) and Ben Sexton and now Justin Peters have done with this group. I’m hoping that this last five-game stretch is something we can continue to build off of. This team is still in the growth phase, they really are, and they’re learning how to win. We continue to get better in a lot of areas and I think most importantly in the areas that are going to help us win games more consistently.”

Trade deadline strategy

“Am I open for business? I’ve had some good discussions with lots of teams. I wouldn’t be doing my job if I wasn’t looking for all opportunities to make this team successful short term and long term. I think the long-term vision is extremely important to keep an eye on with our group.

“I think you can’t have enough leadership and experience. I think that’s certainly an area that I’d like to look at. Also the fact, I think we’re looking at complete players as well, you know, 200-foot players. I think those are the types of things we’re looking at.

“The market will dictate. There may be an opportunity here at the deadline but if not we’ll continue to work on it and maybe there’s an opportunity in the off-season.”

Vladimir Tarasenko

“I have not had a conversation with Vladdy. With where we are in the standings and with him becoming an unrestricted free agent it’s certainly something we’ll continue to take a look at.

“I’ve been extremely impressed with Vlad. I didn’t know him before I got in here. He’s a Stanley Cup champion, plays on both sides of the puck. I think, probably, you see the offence in his game, but he’s much more well-rounded than I expected. And watching him on a day-to-day basis, I’ve been really impressed.”

Jakob Chychrun

“First I’ll say I’m disappointed that his name is out there. I think when you have these conversations with other teams … if I’m on the other side looking at our team, I’m asking about Jakob Chychrun as well.

“So I’m disappointed, I’m disappointed for him. I guess it’s part of the game, but he’s a great player for us, he’s a great young man and loves Ottawa. So he’s going to have to deal with those types of things being out there.

“(Chychrun) is obviously an elite defenceman and he’s a year-and-a-half away from being a free agent. Certainly, is there a way for us to fit it in? Sure. There’s always ways to manage the cap to make sure you’re compliant. So we’ll continue to look at that.”

Alex Formenton

Formenton was recently granted a leave of absence by his club team in Switzerland. He is on the Senators’ reserve list.

“I haven’t spoken to the player and I think all questions with regards to the situation have to go through the National Hockey League.

“I don’t know really, anything I would say would probably just be speculation on it.”


No comments:

Post a Comment